Sunday 16 March 2014

I love to tell stories and I love to listen to others tell stories. I guess I just love stories. Recently a good friend told me a story I thought was worth sharing because it reminded me of something important, something I’ve known for a long time but keep forgetting. I’m sure my friend won’t mind. I’m not stealing her story, just borrowing it so I can share it with you!  

Over the Christmas break my friend and her husband took their two sons on a long and pretty ambitious camping trip. Lots of planning and preparation went into it. My friend is the queen of planning and preparation!!!  If I ever grow up, I want to be as good at planning and preparing as she is!

Their camping holiday saw them visit lots of interesting places and do some wonderful things together. Sitting in her kitchen, listening to her animated account, it sounded like a pretty amazing holiday, the sort of holiday they will remember forever!

My friend is a great story teller and I loved listening to her lively description of the highlights, picturing events that when strung together, made the ‘best holiday’. I chuckled as she described one event. It included a set of parents, two sons (one teenager and one almost-teenager), long hours together in a confined space (the car), in the middle of summer. It brought back a torrent of memories! Aaah the joy of travelling long distances in a car with teenagers!

Another event which will possibly sit forever in the memorable category was the night they encountered a storm.  With their pop-up camper trailer set up on a foreshore in South Australia, they retired to bed for the night. Around 3am my friend awoke to the deafening sound of almost 50kph winds. Lying in her bed, listening to the wind’s threatening howls, and separated from the chaos outside by a single layer of canvas, she began to worry. Checking current weather conditions and warnings on her mobile only served to fuel her concern.

Surrounded by her sleeping family, for two hours she lay in her bed checking half hourly weather updates and making contingency plans in her head, should they need to evacuate. Eventually at 5am she woke her husband and this is the part of her story that reminded me of something I already knew.

With her husband awake her anxiousness was relieved, so relieved that although the wind continued unabated, she went straight to sleep!

There was such a powerful message for me in that little chapter of her story! None of us travel far down life’s pathway without ample cause for worry. On some stretches of our journey, worry is a close companion, shadowing our every step. Then at other times we encounter ‘him’ but once in a while. No matter how often we meet ‘him’, there’s always the temptation to stop and entertain ‘him’.

That day in my friend’s kitchen I remembered again, what I’ve known for a long time, that nothing good comes from entertaining worry. One of the oldest books in history has this to say about the futility of worry, “Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?”

I find it interesting that as soon as my friend knew her husband was aware of the situation they were in, she was able to relax. It was as if she had passed her burden of worry to him and when he took it, she was released. It was this very notion that served as a reminder.

As I sat listening, I recalled trying times in my life when I have experienced the same freeing release as my friend felt, times of knowing that God was ‘awake’ and present in my storm, when I almost literally felt I was handing my burden of worry to Him. Words don’t do justice nor can they adequately describe, the almost unreal sense of freedom in the midst of turmoil.


However, here’s the strange part. Having had these powerful experiences, it seems strange that in times of trouble or difficulty, my default position is still so often to worry! I guess that’s why I need these little reminders. They bring me back to what I already know, that worrying serves not good purpose in my life. God is always ‘awake’ and present, even in my ‘storms’, and if I pass my burden of concern to Him, I will again experience that freedom and release. 

1 comment: