Wednesday 2 April 2014

Something interesting happened to me a few weeks ago. I smile even now as I recall it. Out walking in an old pair of white shorts, I realised the elastic in them had seen better days. I was sad. They were cool, comfortable and best of all, needed no ironing after a wash. Soon, very soon, they would need replacing.

Shortly afterwards I was driving near my local op shop and decided to stop in and see if I could pick up a bargain or two. I love bargains but I especially love op shops! The whole concept resonates with me - something discarded by one can be valued by another.

As I turned the car into the car park I remembered my white shorts and without much thought, said aloud, “God, what I need is another pair of white shorts, just like the pair that’s dying.” Now, I wasn’t using ‘God’ in the way the word is often used today. I was actually telling God something, chatting with Him, if you like. It wasn’t a serious, ‘I need’ kind of request, just a passing comment... and then I didn’t think any more about it.

Inside the shop, I was thrilled when I found a beautifully made pair of leather boots for our soon-to-be-toddler grandson. Then as I wandered the clothing aisles, my eyes lighted on a pair of shorts and I remembered my earlier comment.

As I took them down from the rack, I could scarcely believe my eyes. These were not just any pair of shorts. They were white and they were made of the exact same wash-and-wear material as my old ones! A fitting length for a lady whose legs no longer deserve exhibition, I couldn’t help smiling at the engaging ‘coincidence’.

Even though the tag had been cut off the band, and even before I headed in the direction of the change rooms, I just knew they would fit me perfectly! God heard my words because He always hears, even passing comments, and this time He answered “Yes” to an unimportant, incidental request. 


To me that day, His “Yes” spoke volumes. It seems to me that He cares about even the smallest details of our lives because He likes us a lot! He made us and He likes us! I like my new shorts too and they walk with me often. Even better than their predecessors, they’re lined! It’s so like God to go over and above what we ask or think.

No comments:

Post a Comment